Archive for June, 2012

We’ve been quiet lately. For a reason.

The internet DRC adoption groups have been buzzing. We’ve tried to keep out of it. Our agency, as a result of some of what was said on these groups, made some changes in their DRC staffing. We don’t want to share accusations. That seems to be an inappropriate use of the internet. Our agency did their research, found there were significant issues with that employee’s performance and made a change.

This change has had a ripple effect. Some of the paperwork in the DRC was not done, or done properly. Others were kept in the dark by the former employee (some call it job security).

We’ve hit two bumps in the road with our adoption. While photocopying our paperwork, my administrative assistant discovered a mistake on the Act of Adoption paperwork for Asher. He was identified in both French and the English translation as “female”. We wanted the agency to get right on it, applying for a correction to the paperwork instead of hoping it isn’t noticed or deemed important enough. With all that is going on I sort of understand the resistance we’ve gotten. But … I want my kids home. Papa Bear is starting to get riled up now! I don’t want any additional delays. I want Mama Bear to head to the DRC to pick up our children. We feel like she is way pregnant and past the due date but nothing is happening.

Today we discovered that the former employee didn’t get a document stamped by the Bureau d’ Adoption. Unknown to our adoption agency, until today, we hired a consultant to help us get through the embassy appointment faster. She is the former embassy employee who did all of this work. We asked her to review our documents to make sure there would be no hold ups. If she discovered a problem, we would have time to at least get started on the solution. This would minimize any delays.

The agency recommends postponing our embassy appointment in order to get this document stamped. But this is a document for the DRC, not the U.S. Embassy. In the past, we’ve been told, they stamped document was provided after the appointment during the investigation process.

So, here we are, stuck in the middle of this increasingly Kafkaesque experience. And all we want is to have our children home. After all, it is over a week until the Embassy appointment. I’ve been patient, but I’m near the end of that patience. Perhaps the advent of monsoon season is a contributing factor. I’m sure the lack of sleep last night doesn’t hurt. But the bottom line is: we want our kids!

Thought the Jeff Healey Band version would be nice. And I spared you clips from Reservoir Dogs.


Read Full Post »