Posts Tagged ‘embassy appointments’

We’ve been quiet lately. For a reason.

The internet DRC adoption groups have been buzzing. We’ve tried to keep out of it. Our agency, as a result of some of what was said on these groups, made some changes in their DRC staffing. We don’t want to share accusations. That seems to be an inappropriate use of the internet. Our agency did their research, found there were significant issues with that employee’s performance and made a change.

This change has had a ripple effect. Some of the paperwork in the DRC was not done, or done properly. Others were kept in the dark by the former employee (some call it job security).

We’ve hit two bumps in the road with our adoption. While photocopying our paperwork, my administrative assistant discovered a mistake on the Act of Adoption paperwork for Asher. He was identified in both French and the English translation as “female”. We wanted the agency to get right on it, applying for a correction to the paperwork instead of hoping it isn’t noticed or deemed important enough. With all that is going on I sort of understand the resistance we’ve gotten. But … I want my kids home. Papa Bear is starting to get riled up now! I don’t want any additional delays. I want Mama Bear to head to the DRC to pick up our children. We feel like she is way pregnant and past the due date but nothing is happening.

Today we discovered that the former employee didn’t get a document stamped by the Bureau d’ Adoption. Unknown to our adoption agency, until today, we hired a consultant to help us get through the embassy appointment faster. She is the former embassy employee who did all of this work. We asked her to review our documents to make sure there would be no hold ups. If she discovered a problem, we would have time to at least get started on the solution. This would minimize any delays.

The agency recommends postponing our embassy appointment in order to get this document stamped. But this is a document for the DRC, not the U.S. Embassy. In the past, we’ve been told, they stamped document was provided after the appointment during the investigation process.

So, here we are, stuck in the middle of this increasingly Kafkaesque experience. And all we want is to have our children home. After all, it is over a week until the Embassy appointment. I’ve been patient, but I’m near the end of that patience. Perhaps the advent of monsoon season is a contributing factor. I’m sure the lack of sleep last night doesn’t hurt. But the bottom line is: we want our kids!

Thought the Jeff Healey Band version would be nice. And I spared you clips from Reservoir Dogs.


Read Full Post »

I live in blissful ignorance at times. I feel much like when I used to hike up mountains back in New England. Your eyes would be focused on what you thought was a peak, drawing ever closer. When you got there, finally, you realized it was just a slight plateau and the mountain continued up. I would exclaim, “there’s more?!”Every time I think we are near the end of the journey, I see there is another slope I didn’t realize existed.

It is my fault. I’m sure Amie told me. The positive side is I’m not discouraged by the large number of steps still to be taken. I just take them as they come.

We had two big steps in the last week. We are so much closer, the air is cooling. There are patches of snow on the ground and the wind is picking up. I can almost touch the top.

We were waiting on passports for the kids. Last week we learned they had a batch coming in. Perhaps that batch would include our kids’ passports. Friday couldn’t come quick enough. Thankfully, their passports were in the batch that had arrived.

When we chose this agency, we’d already picked the country. None of the agencies represented themselves as Christian adoption agencies. After the fact we slowly discovered that some of the people were Christians. We started to see Scripture references. Well, the e-mail we got about the passports was filled with “Praise the Lord”s. They were having a “Praise the Lord Party” in the office. In God’s kind providence we chose a Christian adoption agency.

We learned, as you may have noticed last time, that the person setting up the embassy appointments was going to leave in May. The end of April receipt of the passports meant they could request the embassy appointments. But would they be submitted in time to be processed before the position changed hands and there was the inevitable delay due to the learning curve?

Today we learned we have appointments for the kids. Yeah, I thought the appointments were for us. I thought we could plan the trip. Almost, another ridge to climb first. The agency worker will drop off all the paperwork June 22nd and the kids will be interviewed June 25th.

How does that work exactly?

Embassy worker: “So, are you happy to be going to America?”

Micah: some response in French(?) along the lines of what is America?

Asher: “juice?”

The estimated travel dates are mid-July as a result of the appointment dates. It will be quick as visas are applied for, received and all that other stuff. More hills on the way to the top.

“Big ol’ jet airliner…”

But what I suspected happened- it is while we are on vacation. We had just booked our airfare, including a ticket for Micah (Asher is still young enough to fly free, barely). But all we have to cancel is her ticket to NY. Lord willing, they will be on the return flight to AZ with us. Amie and her friend, Wendy, will mostly take their 2nd “Get the Kid” transworld trip together. This time they will be together all the way since Wendy lives in NY. Last time they met, barely, in Detroit on their way to China together. This is better than having to cut a vacation short to prepare forĀ  the trip like last time. You’d think we were always on vacation based on this pattern. The kids will spend a few days getting to know a whole bunch of cousins (it will feel like the orphanage) before we all head home together.

We are tired, but we have a few more hills to climb.

Read Full Post »